Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Number of Challenges (and sorry my photos are skewy today)

I've managed to make another couple of cards this week, instead of finishing off my craft room renovation. (Such as it is) 

The first card is for the Annabelle Stamps Colour Challenge. This time I had to use the colours of licorice and white. (Some would debate if they are in fact colours???)




I heat embossed the swirls with white EP using a couple of stamps from Autumn Leaves. Adding the ribbon, lace, flowers and pearls completed the look. 

I found the black monochromatic paper while I was sorting through my stash to move into my new wall unit in the craft room and decided it would be perfect for this challenge.

The black flower started as a white daisy from Prima that I inked with Kaisercraft slate ink and then sprayed with Graphite Glimmer Mist which has given it that lovely sparkle that you can see if you look hard enough at the photo. The white bloom (and it is totally white - something has made it look tinted in the photo) is from Kaisercraft as are the pearls. The lace is from Bella!.

My second card is for the Muse Challenge #12. This week's card was inspired by the design by  Therese Calvird, who happens to be one of my favourite card designers.


I copied her design by using the same layout, stamp ideas and similar colours. She is so good at CAS that I can't do better. You know the saying, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."


As soon as I saw her card I wanted to use my set of Harvest Berries from Papertrey Ink that I've had for a while and not used much. The sentiment is much larger than the simple one Therese used, but I think it still looks balanced in the design. What do you think?

The leaves were stamped in VersaColor Bamboo ink and then highlighted with Crushed Olive Distress Marker. I assembled the flower from some lavender paper flowers from Kaisercraft (you know the single flat ones), that I sprayed with Rum Raisin Glimmer Mist, scrunched up, let dry and then assembled with the rhinestone brad.

I used a pale lime coloured card blank instead of the white that Therese used. The main reason for this is because I have a card blank set from DCWV and not as much white cardstock. Sorting through all of my stash has made me see that I have way too much cardstock and patterned papers. Maybe I'll have to take some to my Mum's retirement village for the ladies there to use.

Anyway, that's all for now.

Janelle

16 comments:

  1. Two beautiful card Janelle! Love your Licorice/white card for ABS....swirls, pearls and lace yum! Thanks for playing along! I'm with you re Therese's gorgeous CAS card 'if you can't beat them, join them' LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Your card was stunning for this challenge - so dynamic. You're clearly streets ahead of me!

      Delete
  2. Janelle, your card is stunning. I'm so jealous of those gorgeous PTI stamps, you have chosen the perfect sentiment, it truly is balanced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Therese. I have to congratulate you on another utterly cute card published in Cardmaking, Stamping and Papercraft Vol 19 No 5. Your ideas are always so original and look perfect.

      Delete
  3. Both stunning cards,both different but striking in their own way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them both!
    and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful card for the Muse Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sparkle from the brad and the beautiful texture of the flower! Great take on the Muse - thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely cards! I love the flourishes of your first card and the sentiment in your muse card is just wonderful! So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two beautiful cards, loving both of the them! Love your flower, swirls and touch of lace on your first card and your second is so pretty with that lovely purple flower with the yummy sparkle!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Annabelle Stamps!

    Take Care,
    Kylie X

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really spectacular, Janelle! Your first instinct to pull out the Harvest Berries for the MUSE challenge was sooo the right call! I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your card and think it's gorgeous! I think its' also a great take on the MUSE card and wish you good luck in the challenge!!

    PS: I hope you will consider "Approving" your comments instead of using the WORD VERIFICATION? I've tried three times so far to post my comment and get this silly thing wrong, each time. I'm sorry if you don't get my comment, if not, it's because I can never see or read those letters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All fixed now - sorry I didn't realise what was happening - I didn't see it at my end. It's lovely that you persisted and I hope to hear from you lots more in the future.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful colour combo and I love the Harvest Berries stamp. I've seen it used a few times in blogland and its one of my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both your cards are beautiful Janelle - I love them both xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful flourish and stunning design Janelle!
    TFS with us this week :)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you've enjoyed my blog.