Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Well I'll be......


I never thought that my card making theory/skills would ever come in handy with my cooking, but for a recent Grandparents Day at my son's school, we had to take along a plate of food suitable for a morning tea. I made my favourite Chicken and Asparagus Rolls. (recipe below)

I was packing them up ready to go but they didn't look attractively presented. "Ah ha! Chevrons!" I said to myself, quickly changing the arrangement. I think they look quite attractively presented, because of the parallelogram shape of the rolls, the chevron placement just adds some interest. They must have been good anyway, because they all went in about the first 10 minutes.  :)

Here's the recipe. (I'm afraid it's in metric - I don't have the imperial equivalents.)

Chicken and Asparagus Rolls

1 large chicken breast
3 teaspoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
340g can asparagus spears
1 egg
salt & pepper for seasoning
2 tablespoons sesame or poppy seeds 
  1. Process chopped chicken with mayonnaise, salt & pepper and breadcrumbs in a food processor until smooth.
  2. Place mixture into a piping bag. Cut the pastry sheets in half lengthwise, making four long strips.
  3. Drain juice from canned asparagus spears.
  4. Pipe chicken mixture along the edge of each strip of pastry. Place the asparagus spears in a single row alongside the chicken.
  5. Brush pastry with beaten egg. Roll pastry over filling to enclose filling completely. Place on a greased baking sheet with the seam of the pastry facing down onto the tray. Cut rolls diagonally into 3.5cm pieces, brush tops with egg and then sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
  6. Bake in a hot oven for 10 minutes, reduce heat to moderate; bake a further 10 minutes or until golden brown.

P.S. To make it easier, I just place teaspoonfuls of the chicken mixture onto the pastry instead of piping it out. You can still achieve a tube-like appearance with it. Also, if you don't have a food processor, you can always buy chicken mince instead and then just mix it really well in a bowl.

Makes about 20

I hope you enjoy them.

Bye for now.

Love,
Janelle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you've enjoyed my blog.